While you’re on vacation you want to be able to relax, and it’s a lot easier to do that when you know your home will be safe in your absence. Before you hit the road, here are a few simple home safety solutions that can help you keep burglars away:
- Ask the post office to hold your mail while you’re traveling. Nothing says “We’re not home” like an overflowing mailbox. If you have a newspaper delivered, ask to have delivery suspended as well. If you have a neighbor you really, really trust, you might ask them to bring in your mail and paper each day instead.
- Stay off the Internet. You may be excited to be going on vacation, but posting about your traveling plans on Facebook and other social sites or on your personal blog is like an open invitation to would-be burglars. Studies have shown burglars regularly scan online sites for people announcing their vacation plans to family and friends, so wait to post until you get back.
- Make your alarm company aware of your plans. If your alarm company knows you’re not home, they’re more likely to take alarms more seriously, knowing you haven’t accidentally tripped them. Make sure your alarm is fully operational and set before you leave.
- Install security cameras. If you can’t afford to install real ones, buy some fake cameras and install them where they can be seen around your doors and windows.
- Invest in a few timers or program your smart hub to turn your lights and TV on and off throughout the day. Lights and television or radio noises indicate someone is home, and using timers lets you create the same illusion even when you’re not there.
- Keep your lawn landscaped. If you’re going away for a long vacation, hire someone to mow your lawn while you’re traveling so it doesn’t become weedy. While you’re at it, ask your neighbor to park in your driveway or to move your car from one spot in the driveway to another to make it look as if someone is around.
- Gather up your spare keys. Don’t leave spares under rocks or mats or in flowerpots for crooks to find.
Enjoying yourself while you’re on vacation begins with the peace of mind that comes from knowing everything’s OK back home. These safety solutions can help you rest easy so you can focus your attention on having fun.